Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Long Hot Shower

I took a l o n g, hot shower today
and let it saturate me with confidence and faith
I scrubbed real hard until the fear rinsed clean away

I shaved the armor off my legs
Loofa'd the rough spots on my soul and I
Washed that man right outta my hair

I conditioned and combed the tangled knots out of my mind
took a long, hot shower today
and lathered my pride

I lathered it into a rich full lather
and let the suds slide down into the bottom of the tub
and felt every ounce of healing power
that fell from my showerhead

and let me tell you...

the water pressure was just right
for that hightened awareness clean that leaves your spirit moist like morning dew
and your thoughts fresh like newly cut grass

and just as i am about to rinse and repeat
the water runs cold...

...turn off the faucet

I stand shivering

as I watch the last few drops of my insecurity hold on for dear life
until they finally drop directly into the drain
disappear into the blackness

I took a long, hot shower today
Delicately patted my self-esteem dry

Powdered my newfound power

...took a long, hot shower.

-Bridget Gray

No comments: