Sunday, July 31, 2011

The hyena smirks.

"This is who you are," It rasps.

I slowly turn my head, enough to keep its wide skull and reddish eyes in my periphoral vision, but not enough to stop walking.

"This is who I have chosen never to be again." I reply. Check the soles of my shoes for grip on the sidewalk. Keep moving, keep moving.

A click-clack of its claws on pavement-slow, unmeasured gaits from a barrel-chested beast...snout lifted high trying to sniff out the breeze for a hint of blood. A long pause.

"You are a toy. A shiny, pretty toy for my children to amuse themselves with, until they've had their drunken fill. You were meant to fill the time, not to be a part of it." It finally declares.

"I am a truth..." checking the sky for rain, I notice a distant thunderhead, rumbling menacingly. Walk faster. Do I believe it?

No comments: